Thursday

My Puppy






My Sarah is a puppy a lot of the time these days. She has been a puppy for oh, 2-ish months now. She makes a SUPERB puppy. She crawls around, picks up things with her mouth, drinks from a bowl like a champ, barks (a variety of barks), and pants with authority. She has obviously studied the dog they have at her babysitters carefully. I am very impressed. Several weeks ago my puppy got upset because I was calling her Sarah. "NO," she hollered, "I am a PUPPY!" So, I started calling out puppy names and asking her what she thought about them.


Me: how about Fido?
Her: no.
Me: Spot?
Her: no.
Me: Brownie? Rufas? Rin Tin Tin?
Her: NO.
Me: hum. Well, how about Big Red.
Her: increase in panting and an affirmative head nod.
Big Red was born, so to speak.

I tried to tell Big Red not to bark in the house once but was met with such a heartbreakingly sad, slumping puppy that I took it back. "Ok, how about softer barking?" Deal.


4 comments:

  1. And a good puppy she is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of puppies, here's a mother-of-the-year story for you... William's eating habits are fleeting. He's much more interested in running around the house and climbing on the furniture. He is also pretty interested in the dogs' food and water dishes and always playing in them. Well, we had plans to go to nanna's and boppa's one day after lunch, and in true William fashion, he had no interest in eating. So, after many failed attempts, I dumped the cheese and crackers into the dogs' dishes and began gathering his stuff to leave. He crouched right down and started eating AND I LET HIM! He ate all of the cheese and crackers too. I count that as a WIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Melissa, I love love that story! I agree, if little William ended up eating all the crackers and cheese, a definite win. Sarah goes through times when she refuses to eat too. Her doctor says it's totally normal and fine. So I just consider the times when she does eat, a cheering event. Hilarious that you threw the food in the dog bowls, I can almost feel your frustration (having felt it myself from time to time). Better the food be thrown in the dog bowls and not the baby. :) You rock as a mom M!

      Delete