Tuesday

She's such a tall little baby

I forget how tiny my little girl is sometimes. She has always been top of her age group in height, makes it easy to forget she is still just a little baby type person.

The other day we (Dad, Sarah and I) went to our favorite place in the mountains of Salt Lake City to play. There is one place that Sarah always heads to after we finish our “hike” (ie. look at every stick, bug, duck, and animal, touch every rock). The bike rack. She calls it “the cage.” She loves to put rocks into the holes on top, climb on it, have me sit with her behind the cage to play with the gravel, and whatever else we come up with. Well, this day, 5 or 6 little boys came over to talk to us. They were cute little boys, full of energy and enthusiasm. I asked them how old they were and was told all were between 4 and 5. My Sarah was as tall as any of them! She is only 2.5 years old. She is so smart, funny, creative and competent that I forget just how young she is. 

I credit her with being able to do all sorts of things. The astounding thing is, she can do most of them with very little help. She is so cool. She can use a spoon and fork like a champ. She doesn’t even hold them fist clench style. She can color and put colors in actual shapes in coloring books. She can name most of her colors. She knows an amazing number of words. She knows such things as crabs, coffee, octopus (puss! she calls them), Clippard (her stuffed dot Clifford) shower (shaur). Most cats are called “Frankie” (our cat is Frankie). She can ask for food: "eat me." She often says please (peas) and thank you. She can tell you what she wants to do: “T!” (let’s watch tv), sit me (sit with me), milkie! (can I have some milk, she still drinks bottles at naptime and nighttime), cakes (can I have a pancake?). She can tell you where she'd like to go: store  movies, park, side (meaning can we go either outside or inside depending on which side we currently are on). She can stir when she helps me cook. She can put trash where it belongs (trash can silly reader!). She can take off her clothes. She loves being naked in our (very secluded) backyard. In the backyard she digs in the dirt with large plastic spoons, drags her inner tube around, she throws rocks, she looks for bugs (she is a CHAMP at finding ants), she sucks water from sprinklers. She is brilliant and can do so much. I feel like if she were in charge, the house would run like clockwork. OH wait. She's only 2.

To Sarah: 
I forget, my little one, how young you are. You are amazing, so smart and fun. You hold my heart in your tiny capable hands. I am so glad you are my baby and friend. 


2 comments:

  1. Tall children have a great disadvantage when adults expect them to behave older than they are. I see this all the time as a nutritionist at WIC when parents have to tell others she's only 2! Now about that cute little 2 1/2 year old still on the bottle....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tall children have a great disadvantage when adults expect them to behave older than they are. I see this all the time as a nutritionist at WIC when parents have to tell others she's only 2! Now about that cute little 2 1/2 year old still on the bottle....

    ReplyDelete