Thursday

Darkness Our Old Friend

You know how some people are scared of the dark? My baby isn't one of them. 

Several months ago I put my little girl in her crib and wished her a good night. About a half an hour later my husband and I were watching grown up tv, the sort of tv that bores any kid to tears (I think we were watching "Bates Motel" at the time - which I highly recommend) when we heard a soul achingly loud cry. We looked at each other with alarm. What could be happening to make our little bug cry that suddenly and loudly. We went running. 

What we saw next has us laughing still. 

I had forgotten to turn off Sarah'a overhead light. Her usually dark room was bright as noon. Little S had piled up all of the blankets in her crib and was laying spread eagle on top of them crying like she would never stop. Her little face was drenched with tears and she was just howling. We were really concerned until  our little bug sobbed out the trouble, "liiiights! Li-sob-ii-sob-ights. Sob." We were relieved that something worse wasn't happening and giggled just a bit, we couldn't help ourselves. We wiped her tears, hugged her and left our now comfy baby to sleep in the DARK, no nightlight for this kid. From that night on, Sarah sometimes finds herself being teased at bedtime, "would you like the lights on or off?" She responds in panic, every time, "NO LIGHTS!"  She is one cute and funny kid. 

Post Script: I like the dark too. It is quiet and peaceful. Ahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment