Tuesday

Story 1





On this blog I will admit/share true stories of life with my gloriously excellent 2.5 year old daughter. This is important: I love her DEARLY. I decided share my stories because I have never found exactly what I am looking for on other blogs or websites. And because people seem to love "Sarah Stories."

That said, I bring you:  Story 1.

Saturday Sarah was up to her usual antics only more so. She spent the day going limp, doing "fish-flapping" body, and screaming whether or not she wanted to do what my husband and I asked her to do. “Let’s go to the library!
The one with the stellar kids play section!” we said. She melts down. My husband and I sag ever so slightly. 

The entire day was spent this way. By Saturday night my patience and sanity was wearing thin. Sarah was still up to her antics. The final straw happened when she grabbed my enormous hula hoop (which should have been outside, my bad) and started flinging it all around our family room. I gave up trying to get her to stop after a few attempts. I was just too damn tired. Then suddenly, she fell flat on her face and began wailing and screaming like a banshie. I was fuming, (I know). I grabbed her, whispered a few choice swears to myself - that I hope she didn't hear - and dragged her flailing in my arms to her room. I rocked her and rocked her, kissed her nose upon request, and then let her go howling back to Dad. Then the blood began to flow, she saw it in the mirror and lost her grip on reality. 

I began bawling and relieved myself of duty to escape into the backyard. I cried uncontrollably. I moaned and howled and just couldn’t stop crying. I desperatly needed to know if there were other kids out there who had horrible monster days too. So, I called my friend A (just A until I get her permission). I was able to be coherent long enough to say “hi” before I dissolved into hysterics again and bless her kind soul, she didn’t even miss a beat before telling me that:

1. I desperately need a break.
2. She was able to attest to the fact that there are tons of kids who behave like the devil some days.
3. She said she loved hearing my stories and realizing that she wasn’t alone in her experiences either.
(and other super outstanding thoughts) 

She was(is) a star. OH, I am so grateful for other moms who are willing to be honest. I hung up feeling so grateful and refreshed that I could go on with the night without losing my cookies and screaming at a small innocent (mostly, ha) little girl. 

I adore my daughter and love her forever, but the road isn’t always easy. I have discovered by talking to the many moms I meet (my Sarah and I love making new friends as we go out adventuring) that many of them don’t feel like they can let out how they are feeling or risk being preceived as bad parents. This makes me angry and frustrated for them. Good parents are defined by their endless efforts to be the best parent to their child(ren) that they can be. That sometimes comes with failure. But, I think if you respect your child, are kind to your child, scream (into pillows, etc.) on truly frustrating days, you are doing just fine. I love you S, thanks for being my daughter and bestie.

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment